Thursday, February 24, 2011

The end of Winter is coming, making plans

... a bit too soon?
I finally remembered I had some tulip bulbs in the closet over the Fall and Winter and decided I better get them in the fridge. Too late! They had already started sprouting. So into pots they went and are doing well. I may need to bury the bulbs a little deeper.
Then I was wanting to start some blackberry seeds and completely forgot to put them in the fridge/freezer.They are currently in little solo cups of soil spending two days in the freezer, then a thaw, then back in the fridge. We'll see how that goes.
Trying to keep the greenhouse warm through the winter did not work well at all. At least I tried. New ideas for next Winter. It's late enough in the season now that I can hopefully talk hubby into letting me heat it so I can start peppers and tomatoes.

2 comments:

  1. I am terrible our little tulips stay in the ground all year.

    I have just been reading about cold green houses for northern gardeners that can grow root veggies and lettuce that do not require heat. I am curious to learn more as it would be interesting to have access to year round veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the thought of year round veggies is very appealing. Trial and error. We used a small space heater on the freezing nights. Even the bubble wrap didn't really help hold in heat. If we had a lot of veggies in there, the $25/month heating cost would have been worth it.

    ReplyDelete